Monday, February 19, 2007

Odd Things I've Found in Our Front Yard

We've lived in this house for I think about 8 years. This winter, we've started finding odd things in the front yard. Mostly on the rocks that line the front of the yard. A few things in a juniper by the driveway. We haven't figured out who's putting them in our yard. We haven't seen them put there, they just show up. Yesterday, we picked up the things that were out there, and I decided to start taking pictures of them. Today, there was a new thing. It's very odd. Here's a list of the things, with dates of arrival (estimated when necessary) and pictures, if I have them. I took pictures of our old finds just now. At least of the old finds I could find!

November 2006
A little army guy was found on a rock in the front of the yard.

A few days later, a piece of army scenery appeared on a different rock.

About the same time, a gray dinosaur egg was found in the juniper bush. It contained a quarter and a peso. (This is just half the egg. Alex has been playing with it and the other half of it, and the change is not in a place I could find.)

December 2006
A very weathered glass ball Christmas ornament showed up on the bamboo thing in the front yard. We added it to our Christmas decorations, so it was unavailable for a picture.

February 2007
Early this month, a red old timey car showed up on a rock.

On the rock next to it was a chameleon.

Last week, a round metal thing was added to a third rock.

Today, we found half a shipwreck in the juniper bush. It will be cleaned and added to the fishtank.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you think there is d out there who thinks this is REALLY funny? And maybe a parent who keeps wondering where thier child's toys keep going?

-Karyn

Kathryn said...

Absolutely! And who would let their child play in someone else's yard? And why haven't we caught them in the act of putting toys there yet?

Luckily, the toys all seem to be the disposable kind of toy. Like would come with a child's meal or something. Maybe we should start doing something like that as Alex and Nicholas outgrow some of their little toys... Pick a yard at random and start leaving toys in strange places...

Anonymous said...

That is so bizarre! Kind of funny though, like a little something to "look for". Maybe it's a wacky neighbor who likes to see Alex find the stuff? Atleast it's not "bad or gross" stuff, ya know?
*hugs*
Maria
PS love the name of your blog!

Anonymous said...

That is too funny. I can't wait to see what else is left there.

*HUGS*
Katy

Anonymous said...

Perhaps the trickster is one of the elves from Karyn's school? -Mannah

Kathryn said...

I will definitely be on the look out for more wacky things in my yard. And I'll be sure to get pictures. It's just so strange to think about the secret life of my front yard. Things that happen in it without anyone seeing. Very strange.

Anonymous said...

I confess...I've been doing it. Been driving you nuts trying to figure it out huh? oh wait, I've been 3000 miles away! ...I thought I recognized that army figure.

Anonymous said...

That is just beyond bizarre!
All I ever find in my yard is garbage. At least random toys would be more fun!
-Brooke

Kathryn said...

I've found myself looking out at the yard throughout the day trying to either figure out who's leaving the toys in our yard, or checking for new toys. And trying to figure out if there's a pattern to when things get left.

I also think I should start leaving funny things in someone else's yard... It's just too much fun not to share!